what's wrong with beige?

Don't answer that; it's a rhetorical question.
This is the beige chair:

Looks simple enough doesn't it? relatively straight lines, a removable seat cushion and surprisingly comfortable to sit in. A challenge? Definitely. But not impossible....

Day 1.

I dig in enthusiastically. I make pattern pieces based on what I see on the exterior with a plan to adjust them with the actual pieces of fabric I pull off the chair. Good plan, because as I get into it, I realize my patterns have absolutely no relation to the actual pieces I'm pulling off the chair. In fact, the deeper I get into the de-construction part of this process, the more I think I've entered the world of Harry Potter, where outward appearances have nothing to do with what's inside. Like the Weasley's magical tent at the Quidditch competition, or Hermione's drawstring bag that holds infinitely more than it would appear to on the outside.
I take pictures. Hopefully with a photographic record, I'll be able to simply reverse the process when it comes time to put it back together. I have lots of photos. Unfortunately, many of them look like this:
In trying to focus in on the details, I've lost sight of the big picture. These photos are meaningless. I took notes too, but really by the end of Day 1 I know I'm in trouble. 

 Day 2.

I start with this...
and a resolve to persevere! After all, there is no going back now.
By the end of this day, I've pulled out countless tacks and staples and I'm beginning to worry if I'll have enough fabric for the job.

Day 3.

I have a migraine, which I don't think is related to the state of the chair. Nevertheless, all I accomplish this day (with Baker Son's help) is to glue together a broken arm.... something I was only vaguely aware of until I pulled off the fabric and staples which were undoubtedly holding it all together.
You'll have to check back later to see if I get anywhere with this project or if this one will be "my Waterloo".