let me introduce you....

... to my new friend:

Okay, you may think this is a new low if DoOver is blogging about cleaning products, but really, this is no garden variety cleanser. And in my defence, I never would have tried it if I hadn't read about it on another very cool blog. Anyway, it's amazing, and it's helped me restore Artist Daughter's pots and pans to their shiny goodness again after her neanderthal house-mates abused them.... Note, I couldn't find it in any of the grocery stores, or the big box hardware chain or even that tire store that sells everything. It is, however, in all the fancy cookware shops for a range of prices -- expect to pay about $6.

And just so this post isn't a complete bore, here's a peek at what's cooking in the kitchen today thanks to my blog friends... actually, they aren't my friends, I just read their blogs.

First, there's a new fascination in the baking world with "blondies" -- as in brownies, without the chocolate. To which I say, what is the point? So when I saw this recipe for blondies with chocolate chips added (and salt on top!) I figured I could do those. And I did. Best part -- toast the nuts (I used pecans) before you put them in your baking. So much better!


And, then there was this Coconut Bread recipe on the SmittenKitchen Blog. It's actually a recipe from bill granger (an Australian chef who likes to do the e.e. cummings thing with his name) -- and he's one of my favourites, plus there was a bag of coconut in the cupboard, so...


I haven't actually tried it yet, but I recommend doing Smitten Kitchen's variation which is to brown the butter rather than just melt it if only for the wonderful caramelized smell that wafts up as you pour the butter over the batter and then mix it in. I don't even need to taste it -- I'm sated already!

Comments

  1. Older Sister of Your Man23 March 2013 at 00:09

    I'm not actually thinking about cleaning products or even baking at the moment. I'm not dessert deprived though - had a Kona Coffee Creme Brulee for dessert tonight. Yum!

    The sad news is that I finished The High Road on the plane here. What a fantastic book!! Now I know where to go for my book picks now - thanks DoOver. Now I'm reading The Virgin Cure which is fabulous, but not quite as hilarious as The High Road. My bed/beach time reading also included Maui guidebooks and maps and the like.

    Aloha!

    p.s. When we get back to reality, I'll check out DoOver's cleaning and baking advice for sure :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment