Terrariums are BIG!

well, actually, they are small -- that's kind of the point. But, they are super popular right now. I fell in love with these guys in Toronto -- Crown Flora Studio -- though when I went to make my own I went for a more traditional look... I like the sparse look, but my own creations all tend to be more overflowing in design.

Here are the basic supplies:
cactus or potting soil, pebbles or beach glass, activated charcoal
Layer them up in a container (this one is from the dollar store):
pebbles for drainage, charcoal for antibacterial properties, then soil appropriate to the types of plants you choose.
Add your plants. I picked succulents that said specifically that they were good houseplants -- some are happier outside!
because these are so popular, I couldn't get the tiny ones I really needed.
Once the plants are in, water sparingly and add glass or pebbles on top... 
pretty!
Yes, succulents are taking over the nurseries these days. And for someone who admitted to not being particularly fussy on them, they are making a BIG appearance in and around our house. Remember the vertical garden project? Here are new photos of them "in situ":

In the front:

and in the back:
See what I mean? BIG!

Comments

  1. Older Sister of Your Man3 June 2013 at 20:12

    Feast or famine. That seems to be my life intertwined with DoOver Dog entries. I've been on the road with work, then with an exhausting but faaaabulous 5 day trip as chaperone with the Senior Hi Band/Choir to Vancouver Island. Then I get home and there are 3, count 'em, 3 entries on the DoOver Blog!! Crikey Mate! I wait and wait, and nothing, then all of a sudden there are three!! I love them all. My garden is all blue, purple and pink right now too. This is the most beautiful time of year - in my opinion anyway. I love the succulent boxes. I don't know where the one in the back is though. Where is that? I need a bigger context photo to envision it properly. I wish I had more time to create. I do.

    I've just finished Alan Bradley's "Speaking from Among the Bones". I've read the entire series now and can't wait for "The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches".

    I also need to send DoOver a photo my version of the log table. It turned out beautifully and I am so pleased with it.

    One minute at a time, one minute at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back; I'd wondered where my one-and-only fan had gotten to... the small box is on the back wall of the house, which is otherwise pretty white. And yes, please send the photo of your log -- I'd love to see it

      Delete

Post a Comment