A very special finish

 Over several months in 2019, 6 women worked individually on six collective projects. We had no idea at the time that distant collaboration would become a very common theme in so many people's lives in the following year. We were amazed at how, through snail-mail, email and social media we could co-ordinate and create six beautiful quilt tops with each individual contributing equally to each one. Physical distancing and zoom calls were unknown to us at the time -- we were just creating as best we could given that we lived cities, provinces and time zones apart. I suppose the pandemic has taught everyone else what we already experienced -- it can be done, despite the complications. 

I posted about the project and my completed quilt top in this post in August, 2019. And now, finally, it's complete -- quilted and bound. I did, as I said I might, add embroidery to several areas -- all of it inspired by plants and critters found at the cabin. I quilted each border differently, dictated by the fabrics and shapes in each and to highlight the fact that each one was created by a different individual. 

It was fitting that I completed it at our latest visit to the cabin as that was the inspiration behind much of it and fortuitous that Photographer Son the Younger was there as well to photograph it. 





Thank you "quilting sisters" -- I'm thrilled to add this gorgeous quilt to our collection!

And, following along with the theme of sisterhood, I'm happy to report that Broody chicken Layla (who I blogged about in the last post) has finally returned to the rest of the flock. It took some tough love on my part -- namely three days in chicken jail with ice packs -- but she finally cooled off enough to remember that it's more fun to peck around in a pasture with sisters than to sit moodily in a hot nest box! Let's hope this lasts a long while!


Comments

  1. Wow that quilt is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- though of course so much of the credit goes to the other contributors!

      Delete
  2. Older Sister of Your Man28 May 2021 at 15:32

    It's extraordinary. I love the way you told the story of the Quilting Sisters.

    And I'm glad to know that Layla is back to her pecking, pooping laying self again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to do this project with you -- can't wait to see the other finishes!

      Delete
    2. Simply wonderful and wonder filled. I am in awe...of the quilt, the story and your tough chicken love ❤

      Delete
    3. Thank you, though I'll admit, both these "projects" brought me to the brink...

      Delete
  3. Bravo! And very beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is gorgeous and yes a lot of hours .....and patience..
    Amazing you finished with all the chores at the farm,
    in my book you are a SUPERWOMAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes one to know one! Must be in the genes??

      Delete

Post a Comment